Home page / English / Museum's offer / Monuments preservation

Monuments preservation

The Museum Preservation Department has been a part of the Castle Museum in Pszczyna since 1965.

It employs certified art preservationists specialising in easel and wall paintings, polychrome sculptures, stone sculptures, stucco works, architectural details, paper, leather, historic fabrics, and handicraft, especially antique furniture. The department cooperates with other experts from other fields of art history, technology, microbiology, preservation scientists from different education institutions (the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow and Warsaw), as well as with many companies rendering preservation services and fine artists.

Since 1973 the department manager is Mr. Jan Gałaszek who performs a function of the Museum Chief Preservationist. He is also the Art Preservation Expert of the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.

The Museum Department performs extensive preservation research and design works involving movable art objects (easel painting), preservation and restoration works involving wall polychrome, historic stucco works, and interior furnishings (interiors of the Pszczyna castle such as the Mirror Room, Yellow Bedroom, Great Drawing Room, Library, Green and Grey Drawing Rooms, Imperial Apartments, etc.).

The department also renders services outside the museum such as:

  • Preservation of the gothic triptych “Santa Conversazione” from 1475 (the parish church of St Martin in Ćwiklice), the 16th century paintings of “Our Lady of Mysłowice” and “Our Lady of Krzyżowice”, paintings and the shrine “Thy Will Be Done” (Bądź Wola Twoja) dated to 17th century.
  • The Mieroszewski’s Palace in Gzichów (research and uncovering the polychrome paintings in interiors on the first floor and preservation of the polychrome paintings in the Medallion Drawing Room), polychrome paintings and decorations in 17th, 18th and 19th century churches (the St Martin Church in Ćwilice, the Ascension of St Mary Churches in Zebrzydowice and Gliwice, the Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in Bronów, the Chapel of Black Madonna and Saint Martyrs in Panewniki, cooperation in preservation of polychrome paintings in the Basilica in Piekary, examination of polychrome paintings and preservation of a stone column porch of Ludwikówka in Pszczyna, discovering and preservation of part of paintings in prince stables, and renovation of the Anhalt’s Family Tomb in Pszczyna.
  • Preservation of polychrome wooden sculptures by J. M. Oesterreich from 1728 and the Passion Group from 1707, preservation of paintings by F. A. Sebastini and decoration of the St Cross in Rudy Wielkie, stone sculptures of St Florianus and St Bernard in Rudy Wielkie, and St John of Nepomuk from Żory and other, transfers of paintings from the parish church in Pawłowice (a cartouche frame with a coat of arms of bishop Stanisław Pawłowski dating to the end of the 16th century) as well as five scenes of life of Jesus from the mansion house in Stodoły (F. A. Sebastini, 1773), etc.

Jan Gałaszek